【Japan】 A Model Course for Picturesque Views of Mt. Fuji
Mitsutoge is visited by many people hoping to catch a glimpse of the stunning view of Mt. Fuji. The main appeal of this place is that you will get to see a variety of Mt. Fuji views, including that from the peak with a 360-degree panoramic view, as well as the front of Mitsutoge Sanso Villa, the Kinashiyama divergence, the steel tower, and other viewing spots along the way. Mt. Fuji gets bigger the more you walk, making you feel like it is watching over you. The sceneries change and become completely different depending on the season and time of day, so you may see Mt. Fuji blanketed in snow or glowing red against the morning sun. This ought to make you want to keep coming back!
1) Mitsutoge Tozan-guchi Bus Stop: Note that the bus runs just once per day on weekdays, and three times a day on Saturdays, Sundays, and public holidays. If you want to see the morning sun, then it would be best to stay overnight in a mountain villa.
↓ 90-minute walk
(2) Mitsutoge Villa: At the diversion road going to Mitsutoge Villa, the horizon will open wide in a single burst. Head toward the villa on the south side while gazing at Mt. Fuji.
↓ 20-minute walk
(3) Mitsutoge Peak: If you go up the stair-like steep slope, you will reach the mountaintop where a stunning view awaits. From there, you can enjoy an unbroken view of Mt. Fuji, the Southern Alps, and Yatsugatake. The altitude is 1,785m.
↓ 95-minute walk
(4) Steel Tower: You can also catch a view of the magnificent Mt. Fuji from the side of the transmission tower between the Kinashiyama divergence and Shimoyama! From this point onwards, there will be less ups and downs.
↓ 50-minute walk
(5) Woodland Pass: If you head left on the divergence road that goes down to the lake shore, you will get to Komitake Jinja Shrine at the summit of Tenjo-yama. You will arrive at Fujimidai Station in about 10 minutes.
↓ 30-minute walk
(6) Tenjo-yama: With the view of Shibutsusan in front of you and the view of Hiuchigatake on your back, gorgeous scenes will await you, whether you move forward or go back.
↓ 30-minute walk
(7) Ropeway Fujimidai Station: From the observation deck of Mt. Kachi Kachi, you will see up to the base of Mt. Fuji. It takes 3 minutes to get to Kawaguchi-Kohan Station from Fujimidai Station.
To those who say “someday, I will go to Mt. Fuji”, try to start with hiking to spots where you can marvel at the beautiful sight of Mt. Fuji, and then slowly build your experience and pump up that excitement!
■ Yamanashi Mitsutoge Course/Mitsutoge Tozanguchi Bus Stop → Mitsutoge → Ropeway Fujimidai Station/Walking time: Approx. 4 hours and 55 minutes/Walking distance: Approx. 11km
[This article was originally published in Walkerplus on 11.12.2017]
*Please note that the information in this article is from the time of writing or publication and may differ from the latest information.
Recommended articles for you
popular article ranking
Koshinetsu × Genre
Best of Tags
Best of Area
Can't find it in a guidebook?
Looking through this app will definitely make
you want to go to Japan.
Sightseeing information to make you say "Wow!",
updated every day!