It is said that Tokyo is a city that never sleeps, and it points to Shinjuku where known as a nightlife destination.The bright neon lights which illuminate the city streets at night drive a feeling of enjoyment. Shinjuku district will surely be a place to satisfy your nightlife activities. We will introduce the best places to enjoy Shinjuku at night.
The Best places to visit in Shinjuku at night
Kabukicho, located the east of JR Shinjuku station, is the largest entertainment area in Tokyo. Bars, restaurants, hostess and host clubs, arcades, movies and live performance theaters, love hotels, karaoke boxes and plenty of shops could be found in this area. One of the reasons that make Kabukicho become a popular place for tourist is that there are unique themed spots like the famous Robot Restaurant and The Lock Up.
Shinjuku Golden Guy
This area is in Kabukicho, and has around 200 small restaurants and bars lining the narrow alley. Most of them are small and hold ten or fewer customers. It was once known as an area where intellectuals like famous artists, filmmakers, and people in the theater scene frequented. These days, there are still restaurants and shops with that sort of atmosphere, but there are also many genres such as bars, ramen, and Italian restaurants. You can feel like you've traveled back in time to a bygone Japan, but it has a lively bustle with an atmosphere that lets you relax and enjoy time with everyone. Hanazono Jinja Shrine is nearby, so why not sight-see there before or after going to Goldengai?
This is a bar district underneath the underpass by Shinjuku Station's west exit, made of longhouse-style establishments with a Showa retro atmosphere that contrasts with the high-rise buildings surrounding it. Its unique sign is distinctive and stands out from afar. It's popular with locals and people dropping by after work, but also with tourists. It has a long history, having started in 1946 just after the war, as a market in a burned field. The food stalls began serving meals made of easily obtainable ingredients like roast beef and pork giblets, and to this day, many restaurants serving meat skewers remain. These restaurants have become a specialty of this yokocho. There are also shops where you can purchase various tickets and coupons at a cheaper price than retail. Definitely check this area out!
The Robot Restaurant is a popular sightseeing spot that showcases robot shows that reportedly cost as much as 10 billion yen to create. They have a strict reservations-only policy, and they charge extra for bento (boxed lunch), separate from the show charge (8,000 JPY (incl. tax)). Although it is classified as a restaurant, its main attraction is actually the shows rather than its food. With spectacular robot shows that continuously unfold right before your eyes and shows that allow audience participation, you can have an excitement-filled 90-minute stay in this restaurant. If you make your reservation on its official homepage or on Gurunavi, you might get a free coupon. However, you have to be careful because your reservation will be cancelled if you fail to show up at least 30 minutes before the start of the show. Further, they always have staff members there who speak English and Chinese.
Tokyo Metropolitan Government Office Observatory
Shinjuku has a spot where you can enjoy breathtaking night view of Tokyo for free. The Tokyo Metropolitan Government has north and south observation tower. The north observation tower has a regular service to 10:30 pm. There have coffee shops and bar where you can enjoy snacks and drinks in the building.
Experience tours that you can enjoy more in Shinjuku at night
Explore Local Food and Drinks in Shinjuku
- Hopping Shinjuku bars and Izakayas. This is one of the best activities for nightlife in Tokyo.
- The friendly host will guide you through these areas and help to order. In only 3 hours, you can hop three kinds of Japanese Izakayas and grab delicious local food and drinks.
- This tour is private and small group, so can enjoy the nightlife truly like locals.
Golden Gai Food Tour (Shinjuku) with Arigato Japan
- Visit authentic local eateries and izakaya (Japanese style bars)
- Try roasted meat skewers, tonkotsu ramen, sushi and more!
- Explore the areas of Omoide Yokocho, Kabuckicho, and Golden Gai
ーOther recommended tours around Shinjukuー
City walk in the day time Shinjuku Kabukicho
- Filled with History
- Ask all the questions you want
- History, fun and family
Try a Casual Style Tea Ceremony in Tokyo
- A full-fledged tea ceremony experience in a Tokyo tea room.
- The relaxed atmosphere is perfect for casual learners interested in tea ceremonies.
- Learn from a master of tea ceremonies, trained in the Urasenke school.
Ukiyoe Private Lesson
- Pickup from a centrally located meeting point
- Small group ensures personal service
- Led by a local guide
Articles on Shinjuku at night etc.
- Top Three Night Spots in Shinjuku
- Now a Major Evening Tourist Site! Top Three Places for the Shinjuku Golden Gai First-Timer
- 【Shinjuku/Tokyo】Plain Vs. Creamy?! Top 3 Exquisite Ramen Shops Close to the Station
- Recommended for Guests Staying Overnight Without Meals! Top 5 Spots in Shinjuku, Tokyo for Delicious Breakfast
- 5 Trendy Places to Eat in Tokyo
- Additional Lessons to Be Held! Teach Yourself How to Make A Hello Kitty Nerikiri at ABC Cooking Studio Using a Tablet as Your Recipe Book
- 5 Popular Yakiniku Restaurants in Shinjuku And Shin-Okubo
- 5 Recommended Ramen Shops in Tokyo (Shinjuku Edition)
- Teach Yourself How to Make A Hello Kitty Nerikiri at ABC Cooking Studio Using a Tablet as Your Recipe Book
- A leader in the craft beer world and maker of Yona Yona Ale and Suiyoubi no Neko has finally come to Shinjuku!
- Fun and Delicious! 5 Recommended Entertainment Restaurants and Bars in Shinjuku
- Enjoy a good time with locals! 5 Recommended Yokocho Alleys in Tokyo
- 5 Recommended Conveyor Belt Sushi Restaurants in Shinjuku
- Three Selected Shinjuku Sushi Restaurants That Pleases Your Eyes and Taste Buds
- Five Discount Accommodations Near Shinjuku at 5,000 JPY or Less a Night
- Top 5 Business Hotels in the Shinjuku Area
- A little small, yet cheap and luxurious! 4 recommended capsule hotels in Tokyo
- A One-day Itinerary in Tokyo for Enjoying the Cherry Blossoms
- The Appeals of NEWoMan Shinjuku – The Latest Hot Spot in Shinjuku Station's Shin-minami Area
- You Can Be a Samurai Too! A Comprehensive Guide to the SAMURAI MUSEUM in Tokyo
- 【Tokyo 1-Day Trip】Enjoy the Trends in Tokyo! A Model Course for Exploring New Famous Spots
- See the Real Locations From the Hit Anime Movie “Kimi No Na Wa." (Your Name)
- Take a highway bus from Shinjuku Station! 5 Recommended Sightseeing Areas
- Top 5 Summer Festivals in Tokyo
- 5 Out-of-the-Way Sightseeing Spots in the Greater Tokyo Area That Will Improve Your Trip
*Please note that the information in this article is from the time of writing or publication and may differ from the latest information.
- Follow WOW! JAPAN
- Can't find it in a guidebook? Looking through this app will definitely make you want to go to Japan.
Sightseeing information to make you say "Wow!", updated every day!
A Hidden Gem! MUJI's Nail Clippers Give You More Value for Your Money
10 Surprising Japanese Superstitions, as Told by a Foreigner Living in Japan
10 Recommended Japanese Bag Stores in Tokyo
Top 10 Trendy MUJI Skincare Products
40 Things to Do in Fukuoka Prefecture From the Standards to Hidden Gems
[2019 Edition] Enjoy the Best Japanese Food Trends! 5 Food Festivals With Local Cuisine
[Special Edition] Top 10 Must-Visit Outlet Malls and Major Shopping Centers in Osaka
Top 30 Tourist Attractions in Japan Popular Among International Travelers
[Special Edition] The Best 10 Ryokan in Kyoto with Private Onsen Baths
Tokyo to Osaka for Just 3000 Yen!? A Roundup of the Best Ways to Travel Between Tokyo and Osaka